Tuesday, November 18, 2008

You do just fine

Ugh, god, I'm stuck on a song again. It's really too good. There are so many great moments in it – particularly at the end of the verses. "I'm the homerun king 'fore his muscles grew," "so what's the use in even tryin'?" and "I say you were born up in the sky." Okay so only one of those is at the end of a verse but they're just delightful.

I had lunch today with a bunch of Arabs. A Tunisian, an Egyptian, two Syrians, and a Sudanese. Dunno man, I don't wanna get all T.E. Lawrence up in here but it was chill. I think it's time I got myself over there. I'ma just up and go one day. Save my money, work out an arrangement with some friends' family, and be like, "Alright guys, I'm off to Syria, catch you in a couple weeks." Oh man. That's incredibly tempting. Don't even give mom a chance to worry. Hah, even better, I could just go and then when they call I'd be like, "Can I call you back? I'm in Damascus right now."

It's kinda like, y'know? Like, my parents have never really worried about me and I've never done anything really stupid. I figure I get one free. One free chance to just go and be gone and then come back like, "Ta-da!"

Ugh, I've found flights from San Francisco to Damascus for $700-$800 round-trip. And that's without looking or talking to anyone who would know better. I'm threating it. Next winter maybe. People gonna turn around and suddenly I'm eating lamb and learning Syrian dialect from the cab driver. Or something.

No comments: