Monday, May 11, 2009

The ideals of ignorance

You know what gives me a good feeling? This whole Roxana Saberi thing. And I mean yes, I'm glad she was released (particularly because it happened without a lot of American posturing and threats), but more than that, I'm glad that she's half Japanese. Or rather, I'm glad that I didn't know that until I chanced to see a picture of her mother, and then went to look it up.

No one mentioned her ethnic makeup. In none of the articles I read in the few months did any news agency feel compelled to note, as an aside, that her mother was Japanese. They mentioned her Iranian heritage – because it was a propos – but they let her non-relevant ethnicity pass without mention. This is a hopeful thing! Ethnicity is typically not actually relevant, but its mention as an identifier tends to give it much more weight than it deserves. I hope in the future I have no idea that the guy who negotiates a peace with India and Pakistan is half Mongolian and half Ecuadorian. Or whatever.

She is awfully pretty though. No wonder.

No comments: